Dr Chris Barnes International and Peer Reviewed Publications
1. ‘Electron and Ion Transfer Processes at Insulator Surfaces’, C.Barnes , P.G Lederer and T.J. Lewis , J.Electrostatics Vol. 10 pp 107-114, (1981).
2. ‘The Metal –Dielectric Interface, Intermittent Contacts ’, C. Barnes and T.J Lewis, Conference of the Dielectrics Society, Pembroke College, April 1982.
3. ‘Electronic Charge Transfer at Metal- Biopolymer Interfaces’, C. Barnes and T.J. Lewis, Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Michigan USA, October 1982 .
4. ‘Charge Transfer at Metal –Dielectric Liquid Interfaces: Evidence from the Solid State’, C. Barnes P.Bowen, and T.J. Lewis, J Electrostatics Vol. 12 pp 459-468, (1982).
5. ‘Ultrasonic Absorption of Bovine Serum Albumin in the Frequency Range 200 kHz to 1 MHz’, C. Barnes and T.J. Lewis, J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 78 pp 6-11, (1985).
6. ‘Absorption Measurements on Solutions of Biomacromolecules in the frequency range 100 kHz to 1 MHz, C.Barnes , J.A.Evans and T.J.Lewis’ Proceedings of Ultrasonics International 85 London, pp 739 –744, July 1985.
7. A Broad Band Single Pulse Technique for Ultrasound Absorption Studies on Aqueous Solutions In the Frequency Range 200 kHz to 1 MHz, C. Barnes , J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis , Ultrasonics Vol. 24 PP 267 –272, (1986).
8. ‘The Mechanisms of Ultrasound Absorption in Protein Solutions in the Frequency Range 100 kHz to 1 MHz, C. Barnes, J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis, International Conference on Ultrasound in Medicine Combined meeting of the Institutes of Acoustics and Physical Sciences in Medicine, University of Bath, April 1986, Proceedings of I.O.A. Vol. 8 pp31-37, (1986).
9. ‘Ultrasonic Absorption of Bovine Serum Albumin Solutions in the frequency range 60 –160 kHz, C.Barnes , J.A Evans and T.J. Lewis, Journal of Acoustical Society of America , Vol. 80 pp1291-296, (1986).
10. ‘Ultrasound Absorption by Biomolecules in Solution at Frequencies below 1 MHz’ C. Barnes, J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis, Invited Paper , Symposium on use of Ultrasound in Chemistry , University of Warwick, April 1986.
11. ‘Ultrasonic Absoprtion Mechanisms in Biological Solutions, C. Barnes , J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis , IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Williamsberg , VA ,USA , IEEE86 , CH 2375-4 , Vol. 2 , 861-864 , (1986).
12. ‘Where does all the Energy Go?’ C. Barnes, J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis, Invited Paper , Meeting of British Bioacoustics Discussion Group, University of Warwick , 15th December 1986.
13. Non –relaxational and Resonance Absorption in Biological Fluids at Frequencies in the Range 200 -1200 kHz, C.Barnes. Ultrasonics International Conference, Kensington, London, July 6-9th 1987,. Conference Proceedings pp 60-67, (1987).
14. Low frequency Ultrasound Absorption in Aqueous Solutions of Haemoglobin, Myoglobin and Bovine Serum Albumin: The Role of Structure and pH’, C. Barnes , J.A. Evans and T.J. Lewis Journal of the Acoustical Society of America Vol. 83, pp 2393-2404, (1988).
15. ‘The Effect of Solvation on Ultrasound Absorption in Bovine Serum Albumin Solutions’ J.A. Evans C. Barnes and T.J. Lewis, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Vol.14 , pp 299-304, (1988).
16. ‘Stimulated Ultrasound Absorption in Liquids’, C. Barnes and T.J Lewis, Ultrasonics International Conference, Madrid, Spain, July 1989.
17. ‘Stimulated Ultrasound Absorption in Liquids’ C. Barnes, T .J .Lewis and M.J. Van der Sluijs J.Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 88 Nov. 1990.
18. ‘Stimulated Ultrasound Absorption in Aqueous Solutions of Biomolecules, C. Barnes and T.J. Lewis J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 89 May 1991.
19. ‘Shear –wave Detection of Conformational Changes in Protein Solutions’, C. Barnes and T. J. Lewis , J. Acoust .Soc .Am., Vol. 90 , pp 187-1298, (1991).
20. ‘A novel Sensor for the Antibody-Antigen reaction ‘, C Barnes, T.J. Lewis and C. D’Silva , British Technology Discussion Group Document 1991.
21. ‘A Concanavalin-A coated piezoelectric crystal biosensor’ C. Barnes, C .D’Silva, J.P. Jones, T.J Lewis, Sensors and Actuators B Vol.3 pp295-304 (1991).
22. ‘Development of quartz crystal oscillators for under-liquid sensing, Christopher Barnes, Sensors and Actuators A, Vol.29 pp 59-69, (1991).
23. ‘Theory of Operation of Piezoelectric Quartz Crystal Biosensors, given at Eurosensors 91, Rome, Italy, September 1991.
24. ‘Lectin coated piezoelectric crystal biosensors’, C.Barnes, C d’Silva, J.P. Jones and T.J. Lewis, Sensors and Actuators B, Vol. 7, pp 347-350 (1992).
25. ‘An in-vitro urea sensor using a torsion- wave crystal device’, C. Barnes, Sensors and Actuators B, Vol 8, pp 143-149, (1992).
26. ‘Some new concepts on factors influencing the operational frequency of liquid-immersed microbalances’ , C.Barnes, Sensors and Actuators A , Vol. 30 , pp 197-202 , (1992).
27. ‘Joyce M.J. Todaro, P., Penfold, R., Port, S.N., May, J.A.W., Barnes. C. in Langmuir 2000.
28. ‘A versatile supply voltage controlled oscillator for use as a quartz crystal microbalance in a wide variety of immersion media’ C. Barnes, E.C.T. Bowley , M.J. Joyce , ,J.A. May and S.N Port , 2001.
29. ‘Detection of Metal Ions using a Surface Immobilised Ionophore Impregnated PVC Membrane in Conjunction with a Voltage Controlled QCM –Oscillator’’ C. Barnes, N. Kelly and S.N. Port submitted to Sensors and Actuators 2001.
30. Re-usable Sensor for solvent Viscosity and Quality with the droplet Quartz Crystal Microbalance, C. Barnes, N. Kelly and S.N. Port July 2001.
31. Ash, D Joyce ,M.J., Port, S.N. and Barnes, C. Nuclear reprocessing stream analysis using the quartz crystal microbalance: In Proceedings of the universities nuclear technology forum , University of Bath ,2000
32. Ash, D Joyce, M.J., Port, S.N. and Barnes, C. The quartz crystal microbalance: an electronic sensor for dynamitic fluid mechanics: in Proceedings of the 2nd conference on postgraduate research in electronics and photonics, University of Nottingham, 2000.
33. Ash, D.C. , Joyce, M.J., Garnham, G.W., Barnes, C. and Port, S.N. Innovative electronics analysis device for nuclear fuel reprocessing in Proceedings of the universities nuclear technology forum, Glasgow 2001 (Winner of the Institution of Nuclear Engineers’ Prize for Best Paper).
34. Ash, D.C. , Joyce, M.J., Garnham, G.W., Barnes, C. and Port, S.N. Innovative electronics analysis device for nuclear fuel reprocessing in Proceedings of 9th international conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE9) , France 2001.
35. Dean C. Ash, Malcolm J Joyce, Chris Barnes, C Jan Booth and Adrian C. Jeffries. Viscosity measurement of industrial oils using the droplet quartz crystal microbalance, Meas. Sci. Technol. 14, pp 1955-1962, 2003.
36. Chris Barnes Letter to the Editor, The Hum: An anomalous sound around the world, Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 21, No.4 , pp 754-755, 2007.
37. Chris Barnes ‘Examining Sporadic E: New methods for predicting the start of the UK Sporadic-E season ‘RadCom plus’ a Journal of the Radio Society of Great Britain, Vol1 No.1 pp 22-30, May 2015.
38. Dr Chris Barnes 'A newly discovered battery explosion hazard' RadCom, June 2016, Volume 92, No.6 pp 26-27.